If you don’t want to use canned beans in your recipe and prefer to cook chickpeas or garbanzo beans yourself, here are pretty easy to follow step-by-step instructions for how to boil them from scratch.
The trick is to soak beans for at least of 10 hours before cooking.
Make sure that beans don’t boil to hard, very light simmering is enough. Cook beans until desired tenderness (45 mins to an hour).
Use cooked beans right away, or freeze for later. You may also preserve some water the beans are cooking in for further use.
- 1.5 cups of dried chickpeas
- Pot with water
- Prepare beans, clean them if needed:
- Pour chickpeas into a pot, fill the pot with at least 4 times more water than amount of chickpeas, cover with a lid and set pot aside for 10-12 hours:
- Drain water, rinse chickpeas:
- Fill pot with water again, put on heat, bring to simmer and cook until desired tenderness (45 mins – 1h), then drain and use: