Real puff pastry dough is taking a lot of time to make from scratch, most of the times it is easier to just buy it instead. Another alternative could be to try this easier and much faster variant.
Disclaimer first: this dough will probably not be a best choice for some fancy croissants or so, but it will work great for layered cakes, pies, sugar cookies, and such.
Either butter or margarine will work for this recipe, I used margarine. Make sure you don’t let ingredients and dough itself warm up, if you need to pause while making the dough, put it to the fridge to cool down.
Prepared dough can be used right away, or can be frozen for later use, make sure to use freezer bag.
- 2 sticks (8oz) of margarine or butter (I used margarine), cold from freezer
- 2 cups of all purpose flour for dough and some more for dusting
- 2/3 cups of cold water
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: margarine should be cold, so should be water:
- Dilute salt and sugar with water, set aside:
- Pour 2 cups of flour into shallow wide mixing bowl:
- Chop margarine sticks into smaller pieces to the bowl:
- Using pair of dull knifes or a fork (like me) mash/cut margarine into smaller pieces allowing them to get coated by the flour in the same time. You goal is to get pieces about pie size big, evenly covered with flour:
- Add water mixed with salt and sugar:
- Mix with fork:
- And then form cohesive ball of dough:
- Cover bowl with food wrap and put it to the fridge for at least 3 hours (you can leave it there overnight):
- After dough cooled down, turn it over wooden board dusted with flour, knead with few strokes and then roll thin with rolling pin dusted with flour (don’t care about shape, you can make it more square later in the process):
- Fold dough in thirds along the long side, then fold in half to the center:
- Roll the formed dough envelope thin, dust with flour lightly and fold it the same way again:
- Roll the dough again, at this point it is ready to be used:
- But if you don’t plan to use it right away, fold it again, put into a freezer bag and store in freezer until needed: