Let’s bring liver back to the table: for as nutritious as it is, it doesn’t get nearly enough of the spotlight.
This easy recipe will help you to add all the goodness beef liver has into your diet.
I noticed that in US it is easier to find pre-sliced and cleaned liver, but in case you buy a whole piece, you will need to clean it, remove hard vessel parts and slice it up before continuing with the recipe.
Liver tastes great with boiled buckwheat, this is my first choice for a side dish for any main course with liver.
- 1.5lb of beef liver
- 2 medium size onions
- 1.5 cups of sour cream
- 0.5 cup of water
- Flour for dusting, about 3 tablespoons
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Milk for soaking
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Liver I had was already sliced up, if yours isn’t – slice it; clean it; arrange in a bowl, pour milk in and let liver soak while onions are cooking:
- Mix water and sour cream:
- Warm up skillet with a bit of oil over low heat, clean onions, slice them into half circles, and to the skillet and fry until colored, stir from time to time:
- While onions are cooking, remove liver pieces from the bowl with milk, slice liver in smaller pieces:
- Toss liver pieces in flour to cover them evenly from all sides:
- Remove cooked onions from the skillet, add a bit more oil if needed, and add liver pieces on:
- Fry liver until colored from one side, then flip to another and fry more:
- Once liver is fried from all sides evenly, add cooked onions in:
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste:
- Pour sour cream mixed with water in:
- Mix everything up, bring to slow simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 15 mins:
- Serve warm with your choice of a side dish, liver tastes great with boiled buckwheat: