I know that buckwheat isn’t something people in this part of the world eat. But I like it, and it is very nutritious to say the least.
I also was so pleased to find roasted version of it in stock of local Whole Foods (which I either didn’t pay attention to before, or they kind of decided to be adventures and try it), so I decided to publish an interesting recipe using buckwheat this week.
Cooking buckwheat in the same pan with chicken, onions, garlics and sour cream gives it nice taste (and makes one pot less to clean, yay!). You can serve casserole as soon as it is ready, storing it leftovers in fridge and then reheating them makes a nice lunch too.
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe, but any boneless chicken meat will work just fine.
- 2lb of boneless skinless chicken meat, I used thighs
- 2 cups of whole roasted buckwheat
- 1-2 onions
- 1-2 garlic cloves (optional)
- Shredded cheese, about 2 cups
- 1.5 cup of hot water
- 8oz of sour cream
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to make, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients, start over to warm it up to 350F:
- If buckwheat grain doesn’t look clean, pour a bit of buckwheat on the table so you can arrange it in a thin layer and then remove everything which doesn’t look like a buckwheat with your finger, collect cleaned grain to a casserole pan in even layer:
- Peel and chop onions, cover buckwheat layer with a layer of chopped onions:
- Peel and chop garlic clove (if you are not big fan of garlic, use just one clove or skip it all together), sprinkle it on top of onions:
- Season with ground black pepper:
- Slice chicken meat into smaller pieces, I sliced each thigh in 3-4 pieces, then arrange layer of chicken on top of the onions and garlics:
- Season with a big more of ground black pepper:
- Smear sour cream on top of chicken:
- Dilute salt to taste in 1.5 cups of hot water (this will be pretty much all the salt for both chicken and buckwheat), and pour it on top of the chicken (I also shaked pan a bit to let water to get all the way to buckwheat layer):
- Top the casserole with layer of shredded cheese and put it to the warmed up oven (350F) for 1 hour:
- After one hour in the oven casserole is ready, take it out from the oven:
- And serve, chicken with a side of buckwheat together: