This is one of recipes of ukrainian cuisine, after all it is named after capital of Ukraine – Kiev / Kyiv, but it is pretty popular through rest of former USSR countries.
Chicken Kiev is no ordinary recipe, but definitely one worth time spent: tender chicken meat folded around herb butter, covered in breadcrumbs and egg batter and cooked.
The trick is to fold meat and coat cutlets in batter in a way that herb butter doesn’t leak through holes while deep frying.
- 3 chicken breast halves (about 1.5lb)
- Herb butter to taste, about 4oz
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- About 2 cups of plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Let’s start off by prepare batter for dipping:
- The next part is somewhat tricky – we will need to flatten chicken breasts. Slice off inner breast piece (the one which is barely attached to it):
- From the slice side, carefully butterfly the breast, leave pieces connected:
- Repeat the same for all breasts and smaller sliced off pieces:
- Arrange all chicken cutlets inner side up, cover with 2-3 layers of food wrap, and gently beat them up with meat tenderizer to flatten them out:
- Fold 3 cutlets:
Once all 3 cutlets are folded put them to freezer for 10-20 minutes, it will make further steps a bit easier.
- Now it is time to coat cutlets. The goal is to seal the cutlet completely, repeat steps with egg-milk mix and bread crumbs if needed to close all openings:
- Repeat coating steps with remaining cutlets:
- Warm up deep pot with vegetable oil over moderate heat (if you use bigger pot, you may be able to fry all three cutlets at once, but you will also need more oil to fry them; if you use smaller pot, fry cutlet one by one). Add cutlets in:
- If pot you use and amount of oil is not enough to dip cutlets in completely, turn them from time to time to cook evenly:
- Move cooked cutlets to a baking pan, then bake them for 10-15 mins more in the oven, warmed up to 400F:
- Serve chicken kiev hot with your choice of potato side dish, french fries or fried potatoes will go good with chicken kiev: