I find duck dishes somehow not so much popular in US. Not every Asian restaurant has it in the menu, which surprises me a lot as I always thought about ducks being almost national Chinese food.
Maybe it has something to do with the so called “bird flu” which caused the panic a few years ago, or maybe it is related to the fact that ducks are not very diet food due to the amount of fat, or it could be just because people are too used to see those birds alive on the streets (yes, I live in Columbus, OH and there are tons of ducks and canadian geese slugging around on every parking place, as a result I see more ducks on the city streets than on the plates, which would be unbelievable in let’s say Europe ).
Nevertheless, I like ducks. Taste of baked duck with apples reminds me of family celebrations in my childhood, such as New Year or birthdays parties. Fortunately I could find a deeply frozen duckling in the local Kroger. I baked it and, must say, the taste was delicious. So now I can share with you my article about how to prepare Duck Baked with Apples with step-by-step guide and photos included below.
- Duckling (about 7lb)
- 4-5 apples
- Black pepper
How to make, step-by-step:
- You can use big cast iron duck oval pan (if you have one) or roster pan big enough for the duck you’ve got like I did. So unfreeze the duckling if it was frozen and wash it with cold water:
- Rub the duck with them mix of salt and black pepper, season with marjoram and let it settle while you are preparing apples:
- It is better to take not sweet apples to be baked with duck, however any other will do as well. So wash apples, cut each into 6-8 pieces and remove seeds:
- Feel duck’s belly with apple pieces:
- And sew it with threads or toothpicks like I did. If you have any more apples left, just put them around the duck in the pan:
- Warm the oven up till 390F-400F, put pan with duck to the oven and bake it for about 1 hour. Then pour the duck with juice which created during the backing. If there is not much juice, pour 1 cup of water to the pan. Be very careful as the whole thing is very hot:
- Continue backing and pouring the duck with the juice, from time to time, till the duck gets soft and can be easily pierced with a fork (depends of the quality of the duck it can take from 2 to 3 hours). Then take it out of the oven and remove threads / toothpicks:
- Cut the duck into portion pieces and serve with baked apple pieces and your choice of the side dish: