Even though it is called fast salted it still requires at least 12 hours to be ready for eating. So it is good idea to start preparing Fast Salted Salmon an evening before you are planning to put it on the table.
Due to the big amount of oil it is good to be served with simple boiled potatoes and bread.
- 2lb – 2.5lb of fillet of atlantic salmon
- 2 big heads of garlic
- Sunflower oil (1-2 cups approx.)
- Black pepper
- Dried dill
How to make, step-by-step:
- Pick a good quality atlantic salmon for this recipe. I advice to use scaled fish as it is a bit hard to scale fillet yourself. Freeze fish for at least 2 days before making the dish. Take fish out of freezer in 5-6 hours before you are going to start preparing it to let it unfreeze enough for cutting:
- Don’t unfreeze fish completely – it will be easier to slice it into even pieces if it is a bit frozen. Wash fish fillet in cold water, remove scales if it is not scaled yet. Slice into pieces approximately ¼ of the inch like it is shown on the picture below:
- Peel all garlic and dice it in the small pieces as it is shown on the picture below:
- Take several slices of the fish, salt them from each side evenly and put at the bottom of the bowl in one layer. Season with black pepper and dried dill, cover with a layer of diced garlic:
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the fish putting it in the layers above the first one. After you are done, put bowl with the fish to the fridge for 2 hours:
- Get fish out of fridge. Pour it with sunflower oil, amount of oil will differ depending on amount of fish and size of bowl. I’ve used about 2 cups for this portion, your amount can be bigger or smaller, main rule here is to make sure oil covers top level of the fish completely:
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and put into the fridge for at least 12 hours:
- After 12 hours salted salmon is ready to be served as main dish with boiled potatoes as a side or as an appetizer: