Lots of recipes require using clear soup (meat broth, stock), however not all of them also require boiled meat which is often used to prepare meat broth. So the question is, are there any good recipes which actually require boiled meat and no broth?
This is one of them: russian pasta with ground boiled beef and fried onions (btw, it is called “makarony po-flotski” in Russia; I have no idea why, but we always called this dish so).
Any “al dente” kind of pasta will work here: I’ve used penne, just read instructions on the pack and cook them accordingly. You may also vary proportion of meat to pasta to taste.
- Macaroni (penne, gomito, conchiglie or any other type of macaroni to your taste) for about 4 servings
- Boiled beef (made of about 1 lb of fresh beef)
- 1 big onion
- Fresh dill or fresh parsley, or both, to taste
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: boil meat (meat from the clear soup will work good here), rinse greens:
- Peel and chop onion; warm up skillet with about 3 table spoons of olive oil, add chopped onion and fry over moderate heat stirring occasionally until soft and browned in color:
- While onion is cooking, clean boiled meat: remove bones, fat and hard parts (veins, tendons, etc) if any. Then chop cleaned boiled meat with meat grinder, or blender, or food processor:
- Fill cooking pot with water and bring to boil, salt to taste, add macaroni and cook by instructions on their pack until ready:
- While macaroni are being cooked, add chopped meat to the onions, salt to taste and season with ground black pepper; mix, reduce heat to low and fry together for about 10 mins stirring from time to time; add more oil if you feel like it:
- Add chopped fresh herbs (I used dill), mix and fry for 2 mins more, then remove from the burner:
- When macaroni are ready (I advice to taste them from time to time and only turn off the heat when they are soft enough) pour them to colander and drain all water (depending of the quality, you may need to rinse them with cold boiled water, just read recommendations on the pack):
- Pour macaroni back to the pot they were cooked in and add all meat from the skillet:
- Mix everything:
- Serve and enjoy: