There is more than one recipe for lenten foods on this website, if you are looking for some other recipe, try here: homemade lenten food recipes.
Potato, mushrooms and onions are almost all you need to make potato cakes in tomato-mushroom sauce.
Original vegetables only (no-meat) main dish recipe which doesn’t require a side dish.
8-10 medium size potatoes
- 1 egg
- All purpose flour
- Oil, salt, black pepper
Tomato-Mushroom Sauce: 1-2 medium size onions
- 14 oz of field mushrooms
- 3 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 tbs of butter
- All purpose flour
- Oil, Salt
How to make, step-by-step:
- Boil potatoes with skins, let them cool till the room temperature. Prepare rest of ingredients:
- First you will need to prepare potato cakes. For that skin potatoes and grind them using food grinder:
- Add 4 tablespoons of flour, salt, black pepper add egg; mix everything:
- Pour a bit of flour in a small bowl, using a table spoon take a bit of potato mix and dip it to the flour from each side:
- Form potato cake using your hands:
- Put frying pan on the moderate heat, pour oil (I usually take sunflower one) in it and let it warm up. Make several cakes and put them on the frying pan. Fry each potato cake over from both sides:
- Repeat the same steps for all potato mix you’ve got. Move ready potato cakes to the plate:
- When all potato cakes are ready it is time to make a tomato-mushroom sauce. For that skin onions and slice it into half-circles:
- Put a frying pan on the burner on moderate heat, pour oil (I usually take a sunflower one). When it warmed up enough put onions on the frying pan and fry onions over low heat stirring till they gain yellow color:
- Skin field mushrooms and slice them:
- Add sliced mushrooms to the frying pan, add salt, mix with onions and fry everything over for 10 mins:
Move mushrooms with onions to the sauce pan.
- Melt 1 tbs of the butter in the frying pan on the low heat, add 3 tbs of flour and fry it over for 2-3 minutes constantly stirring:
- Mix 3 tbs of tomato paste with 3 cups of water and pour to the frying pan, mix everything. Continue stirring till the moment when sauce start to boiling:
- Pour tomato sauce over mushroom and onion mix in the sauce pan:
- Put sauce pan on the burner on the low heat and let it cook for 10 mins constantly stirring:
- Pour sauce over the potato cakes and they are ready to be served: