This is one of my favorite salads for fresh young cabbage – fast made slaw with eggs and cucumbers seasoned with fresh dill and mayo to taste.
Usually I take small white head cabbage or a half of it, however it will be the same good with red cabbage (the color will look interesting in this case too 🙂 ) or napa.
Don’t forget to cool down hard boiled eggs before adding them to the salad – it is not recommended to mix fresh vegetables with hot ingredients.
- ½ of small white cabbage
- 2 eggs
- ½ of english cucumber or 2 baby cucumbers
- Fresh dill
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: boil eggs in advance and let the cool down, rinse dill and cucumber, clean cabbage of top leaves if needed:
- Finely shred cabbage and put it to the salad bowl:
- Season with salt:
- White cabbage I’ve used (and maybe most kind of the cabbage) is rough, to make it a bit softer press it with your fist: Or / and squeeze it with your hands until it become more tender and soft (some juice will also appear):
- Peel hard boiled eggs, slice them in halves and then slice widthwise; add them to the salad bowl:
- Skin cucumber if needed (if it got hard seeds, you may want to remove them too), if cucumber is wide – slice it lengthwise and then cut into thin pieces:
- Add finely chopped fresh dill:
- Dress with mayonnaise (about ½ cup):
- And mix:
- Serve with your choice of main curse dish (I did garnish chopped beef cutlets and fried potato with it for this photo):