I never tried fresh celery stems before we got to US. I was more familiar with celery root – it is largely used to prepare soups and stew or even salads of European cousines, but I can’t say eating stem parts of it is as popular in Europe as in US.
According to wikipedia, celery is a source of good low-calorie dietary fibre, which makes it not only tasty (btw I found taste of it fascinating) and also healthy.
Saying all of that, here comes the nice salad recipe for fresh celery stems and boiled white chicken meat; grapes give it a little kick in flavor, as well as almonds. Hope you will like it.
- 1.5 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 stems of fresh celery
- 1 lb of seedless grapes (grapes with seeds can be cleaned, but that is a bit of a hassle)
- Fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Shredded cheese of your choice to taste (optional)
- Shredded lettuce for decoration (optional)
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Put chicken breasts to the salted boiling water and boil them for about 15-20 mins until ready, then get them out of water and set aside to cool down:
- Roast almonds on moderate-hot skillet for about 10 mins so they gain more flavor, stir occasionally, then remove from the burner:
- Rinse and remove hard parts from celery stems, dice celery, then move to the salad bowl:
- Once chicken meat is cooled till room temperature, dice it into medium pieces, and add to the salad bowl:
- Carefully grate almonds on the small slots of grater until you get about 2 tablespoons of almond “powder” or a bit more to taste (remaining almonds can be eaten 🙂 ):
- Add grated almonds (2 tablespoons or more to taste) to the salad bowl, season with salt:
- Rinse grapes and remove them from the stems, if they have seeds – cut each grape in half and remove seeds:
- Then put grapes to the salad bowl:
- Rinse and chop green parsley, add chopped parsley to the salad bowl:
- Dress with mayonnaise:
- And finely mix:
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce topped with cheese of your choice: