Summer is here and summer is a perfect time to enjoy vegetables it brings along.
Bell peppers, eggplants, potatoes roast together with olive oil based dressing with garlic and herbs can be a perfect dish on their own as well as a side dish to meats or poultry.
Once veggies are all sliced and mixed with dressing (can be prepared in advance), it takes about an hour to roast them in the oven.
Roasting doesn’t require much of attention, just stirring from time to time. So I consider this dish easy to prepare.
- 1.5lb – 2lb of potato
- 1-2 bell pepper(s)
- 3 shallots
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 tsp of dry basil leaves
- 1 tsp of dry oregano flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: as you can see on the pictures below, baking pan I used wasn’t big enough for amount ingredients I had — it was hard for me to stir vegetables in it. Stirring is easier to do if baking pan is bigger or/and its sides are higer than content for at least 1 inch — so adjust amount of ingredients if you have the same baking pan or use bigger one:
- Skin potatoes and cut them into pieces, transfer to baking pan:
- Peel shallots and slice lengthwise, transfer to the baking pan:
- Clean bell peppers, remove seed and stem; slice bell peppers into pieces about 1 inch big:
- Slice eggplant into stripes about the same size as potatoes, add to the baking pan:
- In a small bowl combine oregano flakes, basil leaves, salt and ground black pepper. Add white vinegar and olive oil and mix:
- Peel garlic cloves. Add pressed garlic to the dressing and mix:
- Using table spoon pour dressing over vegetables in the pan evenly:
- Then mix everything in the pan (this is a part which is hard to do if baking pan is too small):
- Put baking pan without any cover to the oven preheated 350F.
- Roast vegetables untill potatoes are soft (about 1 hour); stir each 15 mins, make sure you bring bottom layers to top each time you stir to ensure all vegetables are roasting evenly:
- Potato roast with vegetables can be served alone as a no-meat main course or as a side for meat of poultry dish of your choice. This time I served them with a pork roast: