Looking for some other cool recipes for St Patricks Day Party? I’ve got some, try here: green food recipes.
This bright green colored soup-purée (or cream soup) made of chicken, broccoli and some other vegies is probably the quickest to prepare soup I know.
It is also nutritious: loaded with healthy vegetables and white chicken meat, which are boiled, pureed and blended together for tasty creamy texture.
All that makes this soup very good choice not only for kids, but also for people who prefer soft food.
- 2lbs of broccoli crowns
- 1lb of skinless boneless chicken breast
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 1 carrot
- Piece of celery root (about ¼ of small root)
- 1 leek stem or 2 shallots
- 1 cup of heavy cream or smaller amount of sour cream
- Ground pepper to taste
- Salt pepper to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Pour about 2.5 quarts of water into big cooking pot and bring to boil on a medium heat. Skin and dice celery and carrot, add to the cooking pot:
- Make sure water isn’t boiling too much (reduce heat if needed) and let vegetables to cook for 15 mins:
- Skin and dice potatoes, add to the cooking pot and boil for 5 mins:
- Wash chicken, slice into 2 inches big pieces, add to the pot, cooking for 15 mins:
- Clean and slice leek (or shallots), add to the cooking pot:
- Separate broccoli crowns into florets, rinse with cold water:
- Add broccoli to the cooking pot and cook until broccoli are soft, but don’t over cook or they will lose bright green color (took me about 10 mins over low boiling):
- Remove cooking pot from the burner; add salt and pepper to taste and puree soup with immersion hand blender:
- Stop pureeing when soup gets homogeneous, then move it back to the burner and reduce heat to low:
- Add a cup of heavy cream or smaller amount of sour cream:
- Mix soup and cream together and keep it on the burner until soup warms up till temperature you like (but don’t let it boil):
- Serve broccoli and chicken cream soup before main course for dinner; garnish it with chopped green parsley if you like: