Whole chicken smeared with mayo and garlic mix and roasted in an oven bag is probably the easiest way to cook a whole chicken.
Oven bag can be replaced by cooking foil, just cover baking pan with chicken in it with one or two layers.
When checking if chicken is cooked through use meat thermometer (around 160F-170F), or go by clear juices produced when you pierce chicken around thigh, or just by time – around 1.5h at 350F.
- 1.5-2lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- About 5 tablespoons of mayo
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Warm oven up to 350F. Rinse chicken inside and outside, pat it dry with a paper towel, rub it with salt inside and outside and arrange it in an oven bag of appropriate size in a baking pan, back side down:
- Peel garlic cloves, leave one out, slice rest in half and put inside chicken cavity (if chicken had giblets, you can put them inside too), then tie chicken legs together with cooking twine:
- In a mixing bowl, combine mayo, pressed remaining garlic clove, pinch of salt and ground black pepper to taste:
- Smear chicken with mayo and garlic mix from all sides evenly:
- Tie oven bag, make a small hole on top, put baking pan to the oven for 1 hour:
- Then take pan out, unfold the bag and put the pan back to the oven to finish up cooking and get some color:
- Chicken is ready when meat thermometer inserted into thicker place of the breast shows about 165F (about 20-25 mins of cooking for 1.5lb chicken), once chicken is ready remove pan from the oven:
- Carefully move chicken to a plate:
- And serve: