How to Make Meat BrothMarch 8th, 2009 in Tips, Advices & How-to by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 2h
Meat broth (meat bouillon, clear soup) is a base for most of the soups and sauces, it can be added to stews or served as separate dish.
As a separate dish meat broth is very good for weak because of sickness people, especially during or after sickness related to digestive system malfunctions or food poisonings.
Meat Broth can be prepared with using basically any type of meat: beef, pork, chicken, any kind of fish. Most common recipes are using meat broths made of beef or chicken.
Soup Recipes with Meat Broth use meat broth of some kind as main ingredient.
- To prepare meat broth you will need meat with bones (e.g. beef ribs or any cut with bones, whole chicken, or so)
- root vegetables of your choice (onion, carrots, parsley root, celery root) and water
How to make, step-by-step:
- Take big pot and fill it with the cold water, put pot on the burner.
- Wash meat with cold water and put it to the pot.
- As soon as broil began to boil, remove scum with skimmer, put a lid on and reduce heating a bit. Make sure water isn’t boiling too much, as that will make your broil not clear, but also make sure it is still boiling otherwise broth will not gain taste.
- Let broth to boil for at least 1-1,5 hours, depends of the quality of your meat you may want to boil it a bit more, till the moment when meat start becoming soft (but not completely), especially if you are planning to use this broth for the further soup preparation.
- Wash and skin root vegetables. For the soups you may want to cut vegetables: dice onions, grate carrots, cut parsley root / celery root into stripes, for the clear broths for clear broths and broths for sauces is better put whole vegetables (just washed and skinned).
- Add vegetables to the pot, add salt and let broth boil:
- After 20-30 mins of boiling meat with vegetables meat broth is ready! If you want to serve it alone just season it with chopped parsley and dill.
Tips & Advices:
- If you make broth of meat which contains more bones than meat, or if you want to make a beef tea, put meat into cold water.
- Broth should be boiling on the moderate heat. High heat will make your broth not clear, low heat will make your broth will not gain taste.
- Fish broths usually require less time for boiling, not more than 1h in total.
View all comments