This is pretty easy recipe for sugar sprinkled puff pastry cookies which can be made from either ready-to-use puff pastry dough, or homemade one. Either way the recipe isn’t too complicated to follow.
I used whole sheet of puff pastry dough prepared for last week recipe (that was made from 2 cups of flour, 8 oz of margarine and 2/3 cups of water). That yielded me 2 full cookie sheets (2 batches) of 36 cookies each.
You can adjust size of the cookies by playing with the dough: thinner dough rolled into smaller rolls will produce smaller cookies, thicker dough or/and bigger rolls will produce bigger ones.
If you like cookies to be more sweet, roll dough slices in sugar before putting them to the cookie sheet (but for me it is a bit too sweet, so I usually skip this part).
- A sheet of puff pastry dough
- Sugar to taste (coarse sugar works better)
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- If you work in batches, slice pastry dough in pieces and store dough you don’t work with for current batch in a fridge; when slicing keep in mind that rectangular shape of dough is easier to work with in this recipe. Sprinkle wooden board with sugar (amount to taste, more sugar will make sweeter cookies):
- Put a sheet of puff pastry dough on top, and run a rolling pin over to press sugar into the dough:
- Then flip dough to another side, and sprinkle wooden board under it with more sugar if needed:
- Run the rolling pin over the dough and a layer of sugar again, don’t over do it: the goal is to press sugar into the dough, not to roll the dough thin:
- Now let’s form the “ears”. Fold a piece of dough about inch big from on side of the dough sheet, then fold in couple of times more:
- Do the same from another side of the dough sheet:
- Repeat until even dough rolls meet in the middle, then fold them in a way that one roll is on top of the other; press with couple of strokes to even out:
- Warm up oven to 365F. Slice dough rolls into pieces about half inch big with a knife (if you like more sweet cookies, you can roll each of them in a sugar from each side before continuing with the next step):
- Line a cookie sheet/pan with parchment paper. And arrange dough pieces sliced side up on it, keep in mind that dough will rise, so allow some distance in between:
- Put cookie sheet to the warmed up oven and let cookies bake for about 20 mins:
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven, let them cool down a bit and then move then to a plate. If you have more dough to go, repeat necessary steps other batches: