These are my favorite fried pies – my grandma used to cook these, and I was always amazed how such simple combination of ingredients can produce such tasty pies.
These are type of russian pies (piroshki or pyrizhky) – dough dumplings stuffed with green onions and hard boiled eggs and then fried on a skillet.
Again, you can use ready-to-go dough, or prepare dough yourself, for this recipe you would need about half of the batch prepare for unsweetened yeast dough.
- Not sweet yeast dough (see recipe)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 bunches of green onion
- Small bunch of dill
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: if using fresh eggs, boil them first and then cool down to room temperature:
- Rinse and clean green onions, chop them up, warm up a skillet over moderate heat and melt butter in it:
- Add chopped onions and fry them for 2-3 mins, stir from time to time:
- Add chopped dill:
- Turn heat off and add chopped hard boiled eggs:
- Season with salt and ground black pepper:
- Mix the stuffing:
- Now let’s put pies together. Divide dough into smaller pieces and roll each into circle:
- Take a dough piece, put stuffing in the middle of it and seal edges to form a pie:
- Repeat with all dough and stuffing, arrange pies next to each other, don’t stack them on top of each other:
- Warm up a skillet with oil. Working in batches, fry pies from one side until golden brown:
- Then flip to another side and fry until colored as well:
- Move ready pies to a plate:
- Serve pies cooled down to room temperature alone or with broth or soup: