There is more than one recipe for lenten foods on this website, if you are looking for some other recipe, try here: homemade lenten food recipes.
Potatoes fried with porcini mushrooms is one of the most delicious lenten recipes. It is also very-very russian. I believe russians eat that kind of food for centuries 🙂
This main dish contains no meat, however mushrooms perfectly substitute meat in both – taste and nutrients – they contain vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre while are low on fat and easily absorbed carbohydrates.
All of that make potato fried with mushrooms and onions perfect main dish for Lent. Needles to say what any combination of potatoes with mushrooms can’t taste bad, so I really hope you will enjoy this dish just like I do.
- 1.5lb-2lb of potato
- 15-18 oz of fresh or frozen porcini
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: porcini mushrooms are the best for this recipe, even better if they are fresh; however you may substitute them with birch bolets, chanterelles or even field mushrooms; frozen or fresh (I was able to find frozen porcini in the close by euro shop). If you use frozen mushrooms – unfreeze them before cooking, keep the liquid:
- Start from the onions: warm up skillet (big enough to fit all food you are going to fry) with 2 table spoons of oil. Peel onions and slice them into half or quarter circles. Move onions to the skillet and fry over moderate-low heat until they softened and gain color:
- If you use fresh mushrooms – clean and wash them with cold water. Slice mushrooms and add them to the skillet (add liquid received from unfreezing if you used frozen mushrooms):
- Fry mushrooms and onions together over moderate heat, stirring from time to time until the liquid evaporates almost completely (depends of the heat it may take about 20-25 mins):
- Skin and slice potatoes into stripes; add them to the skillet:
- Season with stat and mix everything, reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and fry until potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife. You will need to stir quite often, make sure mushrooms and onions don’t get burned, then turn off the heat:
- Then fried potato with mushrooms are ready; server it as a lenten no-meat main dish with your: