This is a breakfast food of my childhood: soft rice porridge cooked with milk and sweet raisins.
Round kinds of rice will probably work better for it, but any white rice will do.
Cook porridge on slow simmer. Don’t forget to stir while cooking, to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burn.
Amount of milk to use for this recipe will vary depending on kind of rice and how liquid you like your porridge to be. I used exactly 2 cups.
- 1.5cups of white rice
- 3 cups of water
- 2-3 cups of milk
- 3/4 cups of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Pour rice and water to a pot, put pot on moderate heat burner, bring to slow simmer and cook until water it all absorbed by rice (depending on rice and heat it will take 10-15 mins of very slow simmer), stir from time to time:
- While keeping pot on heat, gradually pour in 1 cup of milk:
- Add sugar and salt to taste:
- Add raisins, then stir:
- Continue cooking and gradually stirring remaining milk (or more if needed) in, until both rice and raisins get soft, porridge should somewhat liquid, so add more milk if needed:
- Stir in butter and turn heat off:
- Serve rice porridge hot: