Chicken Salad with Celery and GrapesAugust 7th, 2010 in Salads by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 45min
I never tried fresh celery stems before we got to US. I was more familiar with celery root – it is largely used to prepare soups and stew or even salads of European cousines, but I can’t say eating stem parts of it is as popular in Europe as in US.
According to wikipedia, celery is a source of good low-calorie dietary fibre, which makes it not only tasty (btw I found taste of it fascinating) and also healthy.
Saying all of that, here comes the nice salad recipe for fresh celery stems and boiled white chicken meat; grapes give it a little kick in flavor, as well as almonds. Hope you will like it.
- 1.5 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 stems of fresh celery
- 1 lb of seedless grapes (grapes with seeds can be cleaned, but that is a bit of a hassle)
- Fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Shredded cheese of your choice to taste (optional)
- Shredded lettuce for decoration (optional)
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Put chicken breasts to the salted boiling water and boil them for about 15-20 mins until ready, then get them out of water and set aside to cool down:
- Roast almonds on moderate-hot skillet for about 10 mins so they gain more flavor, stir occasionally, then remove from the burner:
- Rinse and remove hard parts from celery stems, dice celery, then move to the salad bowl:
- Once chicken meat is cooled till room temperature, dice it into medium pieces, and add to the salad bowl:
- Carefully grate almonds on the small slots of grater until you get about 2 tablespoons of almond “powder” or a bit more to taste (remaining almonds can be eaten 🙂 ):
- Add grated almonds (2 tablespoons or more to taste) to the salad bowl, season with salt:
- Rinse grapes and remove them from the stems, if they have seeds – cut each grape in half and remove seeds:
- Then put grapes to the salad bowl:
- Rinse and chop green parsley, add chopped parsley to the salad bowl:
- Dress with mayonnaise:
- And finely mix:
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce topped with cheese of your choice:
I like that this recipe does not require sour cream, and love the idea of grated nuts. Ca’t wait to prepare this ingenious recipe.
Fantastic! Great recipe for summer. I used my pure clay pot to cook the chicken, it turned out fantastic! It was soft and juicy, just added some turmeric and pepper powder into the boiling chicken to get some spicy flavor–real easy.
Clay Pot Cooking is so much more healthier when compared to all other types of cooking. here’s a site that helped me learn this art of clay cooking quickly and easily.
This is the best cold salad recipe of this summer season and I`m all out to try it. The presentation is of accurate and precise.
Wow. Looks fantastic! I love the addition of almonds in it (big almond fan). The presentation is also great. Presentation can make a big difference when you’re serving someone because they get the “ooohs” out before even trying it, and it sets the stage well.