French toasts are easy to do and very tasty. They fit perfectly for breakfast or brunch, or as a quick to prepare snack.
It is good to use not so fresh, 2 or 3 days old bread for french toasts. However it you only have fresh bread – just dry slices of it in the toster for a bit, it will make preparation easier.
French toasts can be served plain or with various topping: honey, berry jams or syrups. I prefer them topped with shredded cheese or mix of cheeses.
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of white bread
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Vanilla sugar, about ½ teaspoon
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 table spoon of butter
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: it will work better if bread that you use is 2-3 days old, fresh bread will sodden fast and may be hard to handle, if you only have fresh bread – dry bread slices it a bit in a toster before using for french toasts; also vanilla sugar can be replaced with vanilla extract:
- Crack eggs in a bowl, add cinnamon and vanilla sugar:
- Add milk:
- And mix:
- Warm skillet with a table spoon of butter over moderate low heat (make sure heat isn’t too high, so butter doesn’t burn):
- Deep each slice of bread to the egg and milk mixture from each side (one by one):
- Put as much slices of bread to the skillet as it can fit (mine only fit 2 at the time):
- Fry them until eggs are cooked through (till light brown color), then flip to the other side:
- Once eggs from other side are cooked though as well then move french toasts to the plate and garnish them with your choice of shredded cheese. Let cheese melt a bit. Serve warm for breakfast or as a quick snack: