This dish offers great combination of tastes: cabbage, onions, mushrooms and sour cream braised together and seasoned with fresh dill.
Cabbage braised with mushrooms and sour cream can be served as a side or as no meat course on its own.
Time needed for cooking will vary depending on how soft you like cabbage to be, just check its readiness from time to time.
- 2-2.5lb of cabbage
- 8oz of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 onion
- Small bunch of fresh dill
- 3 tablespoon of sour cream
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Rinse mushrooms of any dirt, slice each in half or in quarters if they are big:
- Peel onion, slice it in quarter circles:
- Warm a deep skillet with a bit oil up over moderate heat; add sliced onions and fry them until softened and lightly colored, stir from time to time:
- Add mushrooms:
- Fry onions and mushrooms together until juices produced by mushrooms evaporate; stir from time to time:
- Shred cabbage (discard stem part), add cabbage portion by portion to the pan (cabbage volume will reduce while cooking, so if amount of shredded cabbage doesn’t fit, just put as much cabbage to the pan as it can fit and cook it stirring until volume reduces and you can fit more); cook for 10 mins or so, don’t forget to stir:
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste:
- Add sour cream:
- Bring to light simmer (reduce heat if needed) and cook until cabbage gets to desired softness:
- Then add chopped fresh dill:
- Mix everything, cook for a minute then turn heat off:
- Serve as a dish on its own or as a side: