This is tender dish made of chicken livers cooked under sour cream and nutmeg sauce with mushrooms and carrots.
I love chicken liver for its texture and easiness to cook. However if for some reason you don’t like it or don’t have it, this dish can be also cooked with beef liver, just slice it in smaller pieces.
Chicken liver with mushrooms and sour cream goes great accompanied with boiled potatoes or buckwheat as a side dish. Serve it for lunch or dinner.
- 1lb of chicken livers
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/2lb of mushrooms
- 8oz of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of butter
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Warm up deep oven safe skillet over moderate heat, peel onion and slice it in half circles, add all batter to the skillet and fry onions until lightly colored, stir from time to time (8-10 mins):
- Meanwhile, peel carrots and grate them on big slots of the grater, then add them to the skillet, fry carrots and onions together for 5 mins more, continue stirring:
- Clean (I also remove skin) and slice mushrooms, add them to the skillet, fry everything together until liquid produced by mushrooms is not gone, then turn heat off and salt to taste:
- Rinse chicken livers, pat them dry with paper towel and arrange them in single layer over the mushroom and vegetables:
- In a bowl mix sour cream, salt, honey and nutmeg:
- Pour sour cream mix over livers:
- Even it out, and put into oven warmed up till 350F:
- After 35-40 mins in the oven take skillet out, carefully mix its contents and serve with your choice of a side dish (boiled potatoes of some kind or boiled buckwheat would be my first pick):