Duck meat does go great with apples; usually stuffing a whole duck with apples and then roasting it in the oven is a way to go. But first – it can take quite some time, and then – it bears hassle of dealing with bones when serving and eating.
All of that is gone if boneless duck breasts are sliced and stewed with apples in a deep skillet like in this recipe. It also makes it easier to serve exact amount of meat for each portion.
Any apples will do good for this recipe, however sour ones are better.
- 1.5 – 2 lb of boneless duck meat (duck breasts or similar)
- 2 big apples
- 1-2 table spoons of oil (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: if you use bone-in meat – remove bones:
- Rinse duck meat with cold water and pat try with paper towel; then slice into stripes about ½ of inch thin:
- Warm up deep skillet with 1-2 table spoons of oil over moderate-high heat (or you can skip oil if duck meat has enough fat on it), add sliced duck meat:
- And fry from all sides until evenly colored:
- Add about table spoon of salt (or other amount to taste) and keep stewing (reduce heat a bit):
- Skin apples:
- Slice them in quarters and remove seeds:
- Chop apples to the skillet:
- Mix everything good:
- Cover with a lid, reduce heat and stew duck meat together with apples until desired tenderness of the meat (about 30-40 mins of slow simmering is usually enough for me):
- Server duck stew with apples with your choice of side dish, goes great with boiled potato, just pour juices produced while stewing over it: