I think this recipe is one of these I can call American. I don’t know if it was invented here, but it is sure popular here: it is quick to make and kids love it.
I used cheddar and swiss cheese for my sandwiches, but any other good melting cheese will work as well. As well as other breads. Just experiment with what you like.
Serve grilled cheese sandwich with a side or without.
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of swiss cheese
- Butter for frying, 2-3 tablespoons
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Warm up skillet over moderate heat, melt butter in:
- Fry 2 pieces of bread to the skillet from one side until golden brown (fry them in the same time if skillet size allows this, or one by one if not):
- Move bread pieces fried side up to a plate or board:
- Cover each with a slice of cheddar cheese:
- Top one with a slice of swiss cheese:
- And close the sandwich up with cheese inside:
- Move closed sandwich back to the skillet (add a bit more butter if you feel like it is needed prior to that):
- Fry it until golden brown, then carefully flip it to the other side using spatula:
- Fry until golden brown, then repeat the same procedure with other 2 bread pieces and remaining cheese:
- Serve grilled cheese sandwich right away while cheese is still hot and melted: