Mushroom and Carrots Stuffed Chicken CasseroleMay 31st, 2014 in Chicken, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 1h 30min
This is somewhat unusual dish to cook: mushroom and carrot stuffing baked inside of chicken meat “crust”.
But I assure you, it is totally worth cooking, for romantic dinner for example. Leftovers can be easily warmed up in microwave.
By the way, juices and removing casserole from the dish are a bit easier to handle if you use springform, but casserole dish would work too.
- 2.5lb of skinless boneless chicken breast
- 3 carrots
- 1lb of mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 5oz of shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- Juice of one lemon
- Bunch of green dill
- 4 tablespoons of potato starch (can be replaced with the same amount of flour)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Slice chicken breasts into stripes lengthwise:
- Put them into a bowl, season with salt, ground black pepper and ground nutmeg:
- Add juice of one lemon:
- Mix and set the bowl aside:
- Warm up skillet with 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Peel and chop onion, add it to the skillet and fry over medium heat until softened and lightly colored, stir from time to time:
- While onions are cooking, wash and peel mushrooms, slice them and once onions are ready, add mushrooms to them:
- Cook mushrooms and onions together until all juices produced by mushrooms evaporate, them salt and season with ground black pepper to taste:
- Add cream:
- And chopped fresh dill, mix and cook for about 2 minutes:
- Then add potato starch (or flour), mix and continue cooking until mixture thickens, then remove skillet from the burner:
- If you use springform, cover it from outside with whole piece of foil to prevent leakage. You can also use a casserole dish instead. Using about 2/3 of chicken stripes form bottom and sides of the casserole, try to make sure there is no holes between chicken pieces:
- Sprinkle with about half of shredded cheese to seal joints:
- Arrange cooked mushroom and onion mixture on top, even it out in a layer:
- Peel and shred carrots over big slots of shredder, arrange layer of carrots on top of the mushrooms:
- And cover the dish remaining layer of chicken, seal sides thoroughly (chicken will shrink while cooking, so account for this):
- Warm up oven to 390F-400F. Put dish into the oven for 30 mins. After this remove dish from the oven, carefully pour all juices produced while cooking from the dish (if you use springform you can easily do this by loosening up the spring and then putting it back on, don’t forget to remove foil and then put it back on):
- Cover top and sides of the dish with remainder of the shredded cheese:
- Put dish back to the oven and continue cooking until cheese is melted and colored, then remove dish from the oven:
- Set it aside to cool down at room temperature for 10-15mins. Then remove top part of the springform (if you use it):
- Slice stuffed chicken casserole into portion pieces and serve:
I thought your recipe looked interesting and very different from anything I’ve ever made or seen. I made it, and, my husband and I ate the entire thing! It is delicious! Now, every week, I am making a variation of your original, and having fun creating new dishes. Thank you very much for sharing!
I am so glad, thank you for trying the recipe!
mmmmmmmmmmmmm the taste looks so good!
can i put these photos on my blog?
Read info here: https://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/copyright-info