Summer Squash and Spinach Soup-PureeJune 4th, 2016 in Hot Soups, Soups by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 30min
Recipe for pretty light soft soup-puree made of summer squash, spinach and milk. And isn’t this radiant green color fantastic?
Any kind of summer squash or combination of these will work for this recipe I think, I used young zucchini and yellow squash.
Use milk for lighter version (I’ve used milk here) or half-half for reacher one.
Also, I’ve cooked fresh spinach for this recipe, but I think frozen may work as well if added to the pot later in the process to avoid overcooking, the color maybe vary in this case.
- 1.5lb of summer squash/zucchini combination
- 8oz of fresh spinach (can be replaced with frozen one)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pint of milk or half-half or a combination to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1-1.5tbsp of olive oil
- Chopped dill and parsley for serving
- Raw or roasted pumpkin seeds for serving
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Warm up deep metal pot over moderate heat with olive oil; peel and chop garlic, add it to the pot and fry for a minute or two until fragrant, stir from time to time:
- Slice all squashes and add them to the pot as well, fry squashes together with garlic for about 5 minutes, continue stirring from time to time:
- Add spinach (I sliced bigger leaves in half to make stirring a bit easier) and cook vegetables together for 10 mins stirring occasionally:
- Spinach will cook and reduce its volume at some point:
- Pour milk or half-half in, bring pot to slow simmer (you may need to reduce heat at some point for that) and cook everything together until squash gets soft when pierced with a knife or fork:
- Season soup with salt to taste:
- And ground black pepper:
- Remove pot from the burner and puree the soup using hand blender or another similar tool:
- Pour hot soup to serving bowls:
- Season each with a bit of fresh chopped dill and parsley:
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of pumpkin seeds and serve:
View all comments