There is more than one recipe for pancakes on this website, if you are looking for some other recipe, try here: all pancake recipes.
Oladi, or thick pancakes prepared from kefir based batter, is traditional russian breakfast food. Batter is easy to assemble and whole dish doesn’t take much time to cook.
Kefir gives a distinguishing taste to oladi, but it probably can be replaced with buttermilk in case you are having troubles finding kefir.
Oladi can be served plain or with some kind of a topping: jam, syrop or honey, as well as fresh fruits. I love oladi with sour cream.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of plain unsweetened kefir
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1.5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- Sunflower oil
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: if you have troubles finding kefir (I usually take unsweetened kefir from Lifeway, getting it from Whole Foods) you can substitute it with unsweetened buttermilk:
- Crack egg to deep bowl, add sugar and beat them until about tripled in volume, I advise using mixer to get results faster:
- Carefully mix in kefir:
- Sift and fold in all purpose flour:
- Add baking soda:
- Batter should be thin enough so you can ladle it with a spoon and pour, but not too thick so pancakes don’t get too thin:
- Warm up skillet with about 2 tablespoons of oil over moderate heat; ladle a bit of batter with a tablespoon and pour it to the skillet; repeat for several more pancakes:
- Let pancakes to fry on one side until light brown color then flip them over using spatula and fry from second side until ready:
- Repeat with the rest of batter. Serve oladi warm with your choice of topping: any kind of jam or syrop will work good as well as honey; I like oladi with sour cream: