I love duck meat. And other day we were lucky to find a couple of duck breasts in Market District opened recently near by (nice store by the way).
So, I got them, also eggplant and some potatoes, and cooked this nice dinner.
Any duck meat will work just fine for this stew, I was just lazy to remove bones.
- 1.5 lbs of boneless duck (I used 2 duck breasts)
- 3 lbs of potatoes
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 garlic cloves
- Vegetable oil
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: I used boneless duck breasts, but any other boneless duck meat will work the same good (just assume than breast meat takes longer to cook):
- Slice eggplant into pieces about ¾ inch thick, generously rub salt from both sides of each piece, put them all in the bowl and set aside for 15-20 mins:
- Dice duck into equal size pieces (the smaller pieces are the less time they require to cook):
- Warm up deep frying pan with a bit of oil and add all duck meat:
- Fry duck over medium high heat until browned from each side, stir from time to time:
- Peel garlic, reduce heat under frying pan and slice garlic into it:
- Peel and dice potatoes, add them to the frying pan (that is why you really needed a deep pan) and fry potatoes with duck together stirring from time to time:
- Meanwhile rinse eggplant pieces from salt and dry them with papper towel:
- Continue frying until potato pieces get browned from each side: Now it is time to add eggplants, however my frying pan wasn’t nearly as big as my eyes wanted it to be, so I moved all content from the frying pan to the bigger (and cast-iron) pot and put it over moderate low heat (but if you have big enough frying pan to hold all ingredients you can continue with it).
- So, slice eggplant pieces:
- Add them to the cooking pot, add 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste:
- Cover pot with a lid and cook slowly until all ingredients – meat, potato and eggplants are equally cooked thought:
- Then turn heat off, mix everything and serve: