This simple salad with tomatoes and cucumbers is very popular in Ukraine, and I don’t see any reasons why it wouldn’t be liked in any other country which grows tomatoes, cucumbers, dill and sour cream with onions and garlic.
As opposite to summer salad with tomato and cucumbers with vegetable oil based dressing, this one uses sour cream and mayonnaise.
If you are trying to cut on calories – use mix of sour cream and low calorie yoghurt, or just yoghurt as a base for dressing, but, believe me, this salad tastes the best with real sour cream.
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- 4 baby cucumbers
- ½ of small red onion (I’ve used 1 shallot instead)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Ground pepper
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: rinse tomatoes, cucumbers and dill; any kind of cucumbers and tomatoes will work good for this salad, just make sure the ratio of both is more or less the same; if you like it spicy use 2 garlic cloves, I ended up using just one:
- Start of by preparing dressing. For that put 3 tablespoons of sour cream to a mixing bowl:
- Add about 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise:
- Peel skin from garlic cloves and press it to the bowl:
- Add salt and ground black pepper, mix and set aside:
- Slice tomatoes in wedges into salad bowl:
- If cucumbers are mature and skin is bitter – remove it, cut each cucumber in half lengthwise and slice them:
- Peel and slice onion, add to the bowl:
- Add finely chopped dill:
- Mix everything, add prepared salad dressing and mix again:
- Serve as appetizer before main dish course: