Lazy Cabbage RollsMarch 19th, 2011 in Beef, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 1h 30min
Lazy cabbage rolls, or “lenyvi golubtsi” how this dish is called in ukrainian, is an easier version of ukrainian cabbage rolls.
Since it doesn’t require assembling of rolls it is much easier to prepare, and taste is very similar to cabbage rolls.
Lazy cabbage rolls taste great when seasoned with a bit of chopped garlic and a bit of mayo.
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 3 – 3.5 lb cabbage
- 2-3 carrots
- 2 big onions
- 3 roma tomatoes
- Fresh dill
- Vegetable oil (sunflower oil)
- Ground pepper
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: you can use ground beef for this recipe as well as mix of ground beef with ground pork, or even just pork; blanched tomatoes can be replaced with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste diluted with a bit of water:
- Warm up skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil; peel both onions, slice them in quarter circles, move to the skillet and fry over moderate heat until onions gain yellow color; stir from time to time:
- While onions are being cooked, warm up another skillet with a bit of oil. If you have skillet big enough to fit all of the cabbage – use it, otherwise will need to fry cabbage in 2 portions. So, slice cabbage head in half, remove stem and shred it. Move to the warmed up skillet and fry over moderate heat until softened; don’t forget to stir:
- While cabbage is cooking, peel all carrots and shred them, then add them to the skillet with onions and continue frying onions and carrots together for about 10 mins; stir occasionally:
- If you fried all amount of cabbage then split it into 2 parts and line first part at the bottom of the cast iron pan, season with salt; (by the way, if you needed to split cabbage in two portions, it is time to go ahead with frying second one):
- Then add ground beef to the skillet with onions and carrots:
- Fry meat with vegetables until cooked thought (about 10-15 mins); season with salt and ground pepper:
- Add finely chopped dill, mix and turn heat off:
- Move meat with vegetables to the cast iron pot:
- And even it out into one layer:
- When second potion of fried cabbage is ready, pour it over meat:
- Even layer out and season with salt:
- Blanch tomatoes, remove stem parts and chop them in blender, pour tomato pasta over cabbage layer:
- And spread it; cover cooking pot with a lid, put over moderate low heat and cook on light simmer for 30-35 mins:
- Then mix everything together:
- And serve: Tastes great when seasoned with a bit of chopped garlic and a bit of mayo on a side.
View all comments