Kefir based crepes have more tender than milk based ones, but they are also harder to do.
Amount of flour to use will depend on thickness of the kefir you have (an that will vary based on brand), somewhere between 2 cups and 2 and half that is what I usually use. If you have choice – use more runny kefir.
There are couple of things you can do if crepes tear when you try to flip them: one of them is to add more flour – but that will not work good if kefir you are using is too thick, then you can put more eggs, and the last resort it to use smaller skillet – then flipping will be easier.
- 1 qt of plain kefir
- 2-3 eggs
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- 0.5 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- About 2 cups of flour
- Vanilla sugar or so to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Crack eggs into mixing bowl, add sugar and salt:
- Mix until sugar and salt are dissolved:
- Add half cup of flour:
- And half teaspoon of baking soda:
- And mix:
- Gradually mix all kefir in:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of oil in (I use sunflower one):
- Carefully add remaining of the flour in until batter get desired thickness (depending on thickness of kefir you may need to use more or less flour):
- Then mix in vanilla sugar or essence or extract (whatever you have) if you wish:
- The consistency of the batter should be kind of butter milk:
Warm the skillet up over moderate heat, kefir pancakes are more tender than the milk based one, it will be easier to flip them if you use smaller skillet. Grease skillet with paper towel soaked in a bit of oil.
Ladle batter and pour it on the skillet, distribute it evenly over the skillet in a circular motion:
Flipping part is not easy, use smaller skillet if crepe tears or help yourself with a spatula.
- Move cooked crepes to a big flat plate and spread a piece of batter over each:
- Repeat for all batter:
- Then cover with another big plate and flip whole crepes stack upside down and remove top plate:
- And serve with your choice of dip – sour cream, honey, jam, sugar, melted butter, nutella, what ever comes to your mind: