Mussels Steamed with Shallots in Wine and Butter SauceFebruary 9th, 2013 in Fish, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 20min
This is a recipe for tender mussels steamed with shallots, garlic and fresh greens in dry white wine and butter sauce. It will work great for a romantic dinner.
Use good white wine you would drink yourself for this recipe to achieve best results. And serve remaining of the wine along with mussels later.
Steamed mussels go great with toast garlic bread or a baguette with garlic.
- 2lb of fresh mussels
- 2-3 big shallot onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1.5 tbsp of butter
- 0.75 cup of dry white wine
- Bunch of green onions
- Bunch of fresh parsley
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: mussels I buy are cleaned usually, but you may need to clean mussels before cooking:
- Warm up wide cooking pot over low heat, melt butter in it:
- Peel shallots, slice them lengthwise and add to the pot (I also fry white potion of green onions at this step):
- Fry onions with butter until soft, stir constantly; then add chopped garlic and cook for 1-2 mins more; continue stirring:
- Pour dry white wine in:
- Bring sauce to simmer and cook for 1-2 mins:
- Pour mussels in, arrange them in one layer if possible:
- Cover pot with a lid and cook until all mussels open (may take from 3 to 8 mins), throw away all mussels which didn’t open:
- Add chopped fresh parsley and green onions:
- Mix, turn heat off and cover pot with a lid until served:
- Serve mussels together with shallots poured over with the sauce:
I have had many version of this recipes, and I think the best one is still when you use one cup of white wine to one half cup of heavy cream, to me it made a big difference!
Going to try this next time, thank you!