This roast chicken was a first real food we cooked in our new home since the move (yep, we got a house!). So it was kind of the “celebration of new home” meal :).
If you are looking for some easy recipe for some special event – search no more: whole chicken roast stuffed with oranges is very-very juicy and has a bit unusual sweet taste.
If you don’t like taste of orange zest – peel oranges before stuffing, that will smooth taste a bit.
- 3.5 lb – 4lb whole fresh chicken
- 3-4 medium size oranges
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: rinse chicken (if it has giblets – remove then, you will not need chicken giblets for this recipe), wash oranges:
- Warm up oven till 340F. Arrange chicken in the baking pan and rub it with salt and ground black pepper from both sides, also inside and out:
- Slice oranges in circles (if you don’t like taste of orange zest – peel oranges before slicing):
- Trickiest part in this recipe is to stuff oranges under chicken skin. Just don’t rush and carefully push slice after slice under the skin (you can separate skin from the meat with a knife to make it a bit easier, but try not to damage skin):
- About 5-6 slices will fit on one side:
- Then flip chicken to the other side and repeat the same (4-5 orange slice will do):
- Flip chicken back. Peel garlic cloves and slice them lengthwise in to halves or quarters:
- And put inside of the chicken cavity:
- Stuff chicken cavity with orange slices and tips, as much as you can fit:
- Then tie chicken legs together with cooking twine:
- If you have some oranges left – add them to the baking pan, then put pan to the oven (preheated to 340F):
- Roast chicken with oranges for about 2h – 2.5h, from time to time pour juices from the pan over chicken, that will make it even juicier. When chicken is cooked though (if you pierce meat with knife around thigh – clear colored juice comes out) remove pan from the oven:
- Slice whole roast chicken into portion pieces (remove skin and oranges if you wish) and serve with your choice of side dish: