Spicy Chicken SkewersAugust 15th, 2015 in Chicken, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 12h
Nice recipe for summer cookout – spicy (and somewhat sweet because of paprika) tender chicken meat skewers. Easy to prepare, yet it is very delicious.
All the heavy lifting for marinating meat is done in advance and then skewers are cooked right before serving. One more positive side of this recipe.
We usually cook these on metal skewers over open hot charcoals. If you plan to use wooden sticks – make sure to soak them in water well in advance to prevent burning.
Alternatively, these can be cooked in the oven, using broil at the end for color is a plus.
- 3lb-3.5lb of chicken thigh meat, boneless and skinless
- 3 cups of kefir
- 6 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of chili pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of salt
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
Start off by making marinade, for that mix spices, salt, pressed garlic, ketchup, lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce and kefir in a mixing bowl:
- Set prepared marinade aside:
- Slice chicken meat into pieces which are easy to put on skewers (depending on the thigh size I will slice it into 2-3 pieces), arrange meat in a mixing bowl or tapeware:
- Pour marinade in, mix to make sure all meat is covered, cover it with food wrap or a lid and put to the fridge for at least few hours (overnight works too):
- Right before cooking assemble meat skewers:
- Cook skewers over uncovered grill, or in the oven until chicken is ready. Rotate skewers from time to time to make sure meat is cooked evenly from all sides:
- Then serve:
I would like to make this chicken in the oven. Can you write in what temperature and for how long?
I would do at about 350F, and I would cooking until the internal temperature at meat thermometer gets to 165F. Time duration would depend on how big meat pieces are, so I can’t tell for sure. I would start from 10 mins on one side, then turn to another side, cook for maybe 10 mins more and check temperature to see if more time is needed.