Ramps are seasonal, and not many stores carry them. I have few recipes for ramps lined up to try but it is always a matter of will I be lucky to find them or not to be able to share.
This year I was lucky to be at the store when local Whole Foods had them for a brief amount of time.
So, long story short, you may not be able to try this until next year when ramps come back, but nevertheless I want to share the recipe for a ramps salad with fresh cheese and eggs.
It is full of vitamin goodness ramps offer and is a great choice for an early spring.
Fresh cheese for this salad can also be hard to find. So either make it yourself or try cottage cheese (if will probably not need mashing, so skip that step if you do)
- 2/3 lb of fresh cheese (quark, tvorog or cottage cheese)
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs
- Bunch of fresh ramps
- Small bunch of fresh parsley
- Small bunch of fresh dill
- Mayo to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: boil and cool down eggs, peel them, rinse and clean greens:
- In a big mixing bowl mash fresh cheese with a fork or potato masher to break it into small crumbles:
- Slice each egg in half and then slice into semi circles (I use egg cutter for that):
- Slice ramps, both white and green parts:
- Add chopped dill and parsley greens:
- Mix everything:
- Dress with mayo to taste, season with salt to taste:
- Mix again:
- And serve right away: