Any time is a good time for a salad. Especially if it is a chicken salad loaded with protein, in a great combination with tomatoes and mushrooms.
This salad can be an entry on its own or a side to another dish.
I used boiled chicken for this one, however leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey will work here as well.
If you want to go lighter on calories with this recipe, use light mayo, or a combination of yogurt and mustard.
- Chicken breast meat, 2 halves
- 1/2lb of portobello mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (italian blend works great)
- 2-3 tomatoes
- Fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Boil chicken, for that: fill cooking pot with water, salt to taste and bring to boil, then add chicken in and cook for 15 mins; turn heat off and let chicken to cool down to room temperature while in the water; then take it out:
- Warm up skillet with a bit of oil, peel and dice onion, fry onions until until lightly colored, stir from time to time:
- While onions are cooking, clean and dice mushrooms; add mushrooms to the skillet:
- And fry until juices produced by mushrooms evaporate (continue stirring), once ready remove skillet from the heat and let mushrooms to cool down:
- Dice chicken breast into larger pieces, put to the deep bowl:
- Pour mushroom and onion mix into the bowl as well; let both chicken and mushrooms cool down till room temperature before proceeding any further:
- Add diced tomatoes (rather larger pieces as well):
- Add shredded cheese:
- Chopped greens:
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste:
- Dress with mayo:
- And mix:
- And serve: