Everything tastes better with bacon. And potatoes are not an exception here: use smoked bacon fat to fry potatoes for an extra twist on otherwise usual taste and you will get traditional Bratkartoffel (German style pan fried potatoes with bacon).
Because of amount of fat, this is probably not the healthiest recipe in the world, but it is for sure a delicious one.
Serve pan fried potatoes with pretty much any meat, they pair great with any kind of schnitzels or sausage.
- 2lb yukon gold potato (or similar one which is suitable for frying)
- 1 big onion
- 5oz of double smoked bacon (about 3 stripes)
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Warm up deep skillet, dice bacon, move it to the warmed up skillet and fry until fat melts and bacon colors up (stir from time to time):
- Peel onion, slice it in short stripes and add to the skillet, fry until transparent, continue to stir:
- While onions are cooking, peel potatoes, pat them dry with paper towel and slice them into thick stripes; once onions are ready, add potatoes:
- Fry potatoes over moderate heat, stir from time to time:
- Up until potatoes become soft, then salt to taste, stir:
- And serve: