Italian Sausage Soup with CauliflowerDecember 31st, 2016 in Hot Soups, Soups by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 45min
Cauliflower and vegetables soup infused with Italian spices and cream is another creation perfect for cold winter weather: it fills and warms you up.
And that fact that this soup is pretty easy and quick to do if just another reason to try it out.
Fresh chicken broth works perfect here, however good grade boxed broth is a good option too.
Sometimes I use broth from boiling chicken thighs for salads and such, to not waste a good stuff.
If you are looking for more heat use hot Italian sausage instead of mild one or in addition to it.
- About 2 quarts of chicken broth
- 1lb of mild Italian chicken sausage mix or sausages themselves
- Few cauliflower florets, about 2 cups chopped
- 1-2 potatoes
- 1 big tomato, or 2 smaller ones
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- A piece of celery root
- Small parsley root
- 1.5 cups of heavy cream
- Small bunch of fresh dill
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Pour chicken broth into a pot and bring it to slow simmer. Peel parsley and celery roots and slice them in stripes, add to the pot, continue cooking:
- Remove skin from tomato (see step-by-step instructions here if needed):
- Warm up skillet with a bit of oil. Peel and chop onion, fry it over moderate heat until colored, stir from time to time:
- Peel and slice carrot, add it to the skillet, continue frying:
- Grate tomato on big slots (or chop in a food processor), add to the skillet: Stir from time to time, let vegetables simmer together:
- Peel and slice potatoes, add them to the soup:
- Pour cooked vegetables in too:
Warm skillet up with a bit of oil, if you use sausages then slice them in pieces and fry; if you use sausage mix like me follow next steps:
- Pour meat to the pot:
- Let everything cook over slow simmer until potatoes start getting soft to pierce:
- Then add chopped cauliflower, cook for about 2 mins:
- Pour cream in:
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, cook until cauliflower is as soft as you like:
- Then add chopped dill:
- Cook for 2-3 mins more and turn heat off, soup is ready:
- Serve it hot:
View all comments