This is one of variations of traditional Ukrainian dish featuring green beans (“lopatky” or “лопатки”) fried with breadcrumbs and seasoned with garlic.
Green beans are pretty easy and quick to cook. The major trick for me is to not overcook them (I like beans crunchy, not too soft). So testing beans softness from time to time while simmering them is a key. Take them off the burner as soon as ready.
These taste the best when served straight from the skillet: warm and fragrant.
- 2 lbs of green beans
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
- Butter, about 2oz
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: soak bean in cold water, rinse, snap tips from both sides of green beans (if beans are mature you may also need to remove the strings that run between the tips along the seam):
- Bring a big pot of salted water to boil, add green beans in an cook over light simmer until desired tenderness (I like beans crispy so cooking them for about 10 mins to not overcook, but if you like them soft cook for longer, just taste from time to time):
- Drain cooked beans, you can also rinse them with cold water:
- Melt 2/3 of butter in a deep skillet over moderate low heat:
- Pour breadcrumbs in and fry them until colored (you want to get somewhat buttery liquid mixture, so if your looks dry add more butter):
- When breadcrumbs are ready, add cooked beans in, mix and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally:
- Peel and press garlic in:
- Taste and add more salt if needed, continue to mix and cook for a minute more:
- Then lopatky are ready, serve them warm as a side dish or an appetizer: