There is more than one recipe for lenten foods on this website, if you are looking for some other recipe, try here: homemade lenten food recipes.
I think buckwheat grain is one of the most nutritious and healthy foods one can ever eat: it is very rich on iron, zink, other minerals and vitamins which makes it perfect food for kids and women during pregnancy.
It is also low on carbohydrates comparing to other grains (and for those which it does have body needs long time to digest);for me that makes boiled buckwheat (straight or with a bit of milk) perfect food for days when I want to eat a bit less and exercise a bit more: it makes you feel full longer without eating too much.
Boiled buckwheat is a perfect side for any kind of beef dishes: I personally prefer to serve it with beef stroganoff or minced beef cutlets; however it can be served as a stand alone dish. Boiled buckwheat grain with milk is very popular breakfast food for children and adults in countries of East Europe.
- 2 cups of whole roast buckwheat grain
- Salt to taste
- Butter to taste
- 4 cups of water
How to prepare, step by step:
- Prepare roast buckwheat, you don’t need to rinse it; you will also need a cooking pot with good fitting lid (if you have one with thick bottom – that would be a good choice, also glass lid makes it easy to supervise the process without opening a lid):
- Even if grain looks clean it is still good idea to take a look at it more close and remove seed shells or weed which sometimes can happen in the grains. For that pour a bit of buckwheat on the table so you can arrange it in a thin layer and then remove everything which doesn’t look like a buckwheat with your finger, collect cleaned grain back to the bowl:
- Pour buckwheat grain into it the cooking pot:
- Add water with exactly twice volume of the grain (that is important!), so for 2 cups of buckwheat I used 4 cups of water, season with salt:
- Cover pot with a lid, put on high heat and bring to boil. From this moment and on it is important to not open the lid. Boil buckwheat for about 5 minutes:
- Then reduce heat in half and continue cooking of 15 minutes, amount of water should decrease 2 times by now. Then reduce heat to very low and keep cooking until the water is gone completely (5-10 mins).
- After that remove cooking pot from the burner, carefully wrap it up with several layers of towel or blanket and leave aside for 15-30 mins:
- Add butter:
- Once butter gets soft stir it in:
- Then boiled buckwheat is ready. It goes perfectly with any kind of beef main course as a side dish:
Or add a bit of warm milk to boiled buckwheat and serve it for breakfast (about cup of milk for a cup of buckwheat, add 1/2 of tea spoon of sugar if you like, I usually don’t, but kids may like it):