Beef Roast with Cheese and OnionMay 1st, 2010 in Beef, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 1h 30min
That is probably one of my favorite dinner recipes: slices of beef roast under mayonnaise, shredded mozzarella and onions, and it is very easy to cook.
You can make steps 1-7 some time in advance, then put meat into the fridge and continue later; just get meat to the preheated oven about 1 hour before you are going to serve it. That comes extremely handy when you need to get a lot of other things taken care of right before the dinner.
Some dry red wine is a nice addition to this dish, especially if the dinner is going to get romantic.
- 2lb of round eye roast beef
- 2 big onions
- 4-5 cups of shredded mozzarella
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Slice meat into pieces 1/3 of the inch thick:
- Salt each slice of meat from both sides and beat it up with the meat tenderizer:
- Take a shallow baking pan big enough for the meat you’ve got and arrange meat in one layer at the bottom of the pan:
- Peel and chop onions, cover meat layer with a layer of chopped onions and season with ground black pepper:
- Dress it with mayonnaise:
- Cover with even layer of shredded cheese and put into oven preheated to 340F-350F:
- Roast meat without cover for about 45 mins (cooking time may differ depends of the quality of the meat, just test meat it should be cooked until soft and juicy); if meat isn’t ready yet, but cheese start getting too brown – reduce heat a bit. Remove pan from the oven when meat is ready (careful the pan is hot!):
- Serve meat with cheese warm with your choice of a side dish, I did garnish it with potato puree and eggplant paste:
It is also Polish meat recipe.I do not use the salt, mao has it already! Instead I use Italian seasoning.And I make cheese layer and then mao on the top.It is possible to make layer of potato scallops after the onion layer.
Finally! i found the recipe. I studied in Russia 2 years ago. I really loved the cutlets that had something creamy on top of it. Always had this during our lunch at our university canteen. Yes, just a canteen food but omg it tasted as nice as the one in restaurant! They called it “Fransuskii cutlet” right? Somehow i started craving for it now… i never thought the secret ingredient was actually mayonnaise, i was thinking of sour cream or cottage cheese. plan to bake it tonight, with addition of mushroom.
Yes, “Meat made in French way” or “Mjaso po Fransuzski” or something like this 🙂 I hope you like it.
what is called “French meat”? the dish or just the kind of beef used? Again, as a French woman i can tell you i never heard of such a recipe in France (beef with cheese on top in oven) and never saw mayonnaise dressing to be cooked or for making meat balls until today on your website! but i’ll try some day!
It is called French meat in Russia, I don’t think it has any relation to France itself.
by the way, i think French ppl would rather use Béchamel sauce instead of mayo. But the ingredients are very different.
Yes, love to mayo is very Russian thing 🙂 even thou I believe it was invented by French.
Looks good. I will try this one soon!
Making this dish for dinner today, but planning to use chicken breasts. Looks very appetizing and hope it’ll turn out just as good with chicken…
I’ve tried it with chicken breasts – it get a bit too watery (chicken has a lot of juices). My suggestion would be to reduce amount of onions and mayo and arrange breasts more far from each other. Apart of that, it will taste good. Enjoy!
Thank you for advice! Do I have to tenderize chicken breasts as well? I do not have a meat tenderizer. I had one in Canada. Now I’m in France and just never got around to get one 🙂
I don’t think you have too, chicken meat is tender enough, however it helps to make pieces flat and even, if you can get that w/o meat tenderizer, I think that will work…