Beef Stroganoff with Mushrooms and CreamSeptember 17th, 2011 in Beef, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 1h 20min
This recipe features a small modification to the beef stroganoff recipe I posted earlier, but a good one: a cup of cream and cremini mushrooms give this dish a very rich taste.
Field mushrooms will also work good in this recipe, but cremini are the best.
As usual, I suggest serving beef stroganoff with a side of boiled buckwheat, it tastes great with mushrooms and cream and, of course, beef.
- 3lb of beef sirloin
- 8oz of mushrooms, I used cremini mushrooms
- 1-1.5 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 5-6 bay leaves
- 1 big onion
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil, I prefer sunflower oil
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Warm up high side skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil over moderate heat. Peel onions, slice them in quarter circles, move them to the warmed up skillet and fry until brown and soft, stir occasionally:
- Clean and slice mushrooms, add them to the skillet, stir and fry:
- While mushrooms are cooking, slice meat into thin stripes:
- Cook mushrooms with onions until juices evaporate:
- Increase heat and add all meat to the skillet:
- Stir and fry until all meat is colored from each side:
- Then stir flour in:
- Add bay leaves:
- And cream:
- Salt to taste:
- And season with ground black pepper; cover with a lid, reduce heat to moderate and cook until meat is soft:
- Serve as a main course with your choice of the side dish, I still think that boiled buckwheat is the best choice of side dish for beef stroganoff:
It was delicious the whole family loved it…..
Happy New Year Julia! Made this last night, very tasty! I was wondering though, we didn’t have heavy cream back in the day, what did people use for the recipe? Sour cream? Milk? Also, I noticed some recipes include cognac and beef broth, have you tried it? Does it really alter the taste much?
I think sour cream will work too, I do the version of this recipe with chicken and use sour cream for it. Never tried cognac, beef broth will be good addition I think.
This recipe is also fabulous with wild game.
I think this looks really yummy! This is beef stroganoff like my Mom makes it. My husband is completely averse to mushrooms so I don’t get to make it with mushrooms.