Cottage Cheese PancakesMarch 16th, 2013 in Main Dishes, No-meat by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 45min
This is my attempt to adjust russian fresh pancake recipe to use domestic ingredients. Main ingredient – russian fresh white cheese – has much thicker consistency than cottage cheese which you can usually buy in the store.
By the advice of one of this blog readers, I tried cottage cheese produced by Friendship brand and the result turned out pretty good. Main challenge was to find a proper amount of flour, with about half of cup pancakes turned out very tender, but not too hard to handle.
If pancakes break when you try to flip them, make them smaller, these will be easier to handle. Enjoy for breakfast of brunch!
- 16oz small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Vanilla sugar to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Pour cottage cheese to a mixing bowl:
- Add a tablespoon of sugar, or more if you want pancakes to be sweeter and salt to taste (I put about ¼ of tea spoon):
- Crack an egg in:
- Put vanilla sugar (or extract) to taste:
- Add flour in:
- And mix again (if you want thick pancakes add more flour, thick pancakes are easier to flip):
- Warm skillet with oil up over moderate heat; using spoon and fork (or another spoon) form a spoon size pancakes in the skillet, fry them on one side until golden brown:
- Then gently flip to another side using spatula; fry until golden brown as well:
- Move cooked pancakes to a plate, repeat for remaining dough:
- Serve warm or cold with sour cream:
You are right about the cottage cheese vs. tvorog! I tried making these today and the brand of cottage cheese I bought was VERY watery. I added a ton of flour but they still would not hold. I’ll look for Friendship or another brand that is less watery.
You can try to drain some liquid out first, using sieve perhaps, it may work. Adding more eggs in may help with holding things together as well. Sorry for late replay though.
Try to do with ricotta, too good.
WHAT IS THE NUTRITIONAL VALUE ON THIS RECIPE?
I guess it will depend on what ingredients you use, I can’t say for sure.