There are many recipes in Ukrainian cuisine for Hrechanyky – meat and buckwheat patties.
All of them use some sort of meat (chicken, or pork, or beef, or a combination of these) which is being mixed with boiled buckwheat and some other ingredients; patties are either baked or fried, and then served either plain or with some kind of sauce. So, there are many variations.
In this recipe I used ground chicken, patties are fried and served without any sauce. Simple recipe I would say. If you are grinding chicken meat yourself, you can do it together with onion, that way there is no need to grate it.
Serve hrechanyky warm or cooled down with vegetable side or on a bread bun.
- 1.5lb of ground chicken meat
- 2 cups of boiled buckwheat
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Flour, about 3/4 of cup
- Oil for frying
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Peel onion, grate it on big slots of grater to a mixing bowl:
- Add ground chicken:
- Add boiled buckwheat:
- Mix everything good:
- Crack an egg in:
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste:
- Mix again, if meat and buckwheat mix is too liquid to handle with hands you can add a bit more buckwheat to make it easier (if you have some):
Warm up skillet with oil over moderate heat. Working in batches, use spoon and hands to form patties:
So you will get a patty like this:
- Move formed patties to warmed up skillet:
- Fry until golden brown colored, then flip to another side:
- Fry until cooked through, move ready patties to a plate, continue with remaining meat and buckwheat mix:
- Serve fried buckwheat patties with some vegetables or salad: