There is more than one recipe for cutlets on this website, if you are looking for some other recipe, try here: all cutlet recipes.
This it a traditional russian recipe for minced meat cutlets which includes meat, white bread soaked in milk and a lot of onions. Some people prepare those cutlets from beef only, some add a bit of pork or pork fat in them. I prefer just beef.
You may grind or mince meat yourself or buy a ground one and simply add finely chopped or grated onions: whatever you prefer. Either way I am sure it will taste delicious!
- 2 lb of beef
- 3-4 shallots
- 1 egg
- White bread
- 1 cup of milk
- Ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
How to make, step by step:
- Prepare ingredients: any cut of beef will do; original recipe uses onions, however I like shallots instead. It is hard to tell how much bread you need, I’ve used about ½ of that piece on the picture:
- Rinse beef in cold water and slice it in pieces; peel shallots. Mince meat and shallots together in meat grinder or food processer. Season with ground black pepper and salt to taste. Add and egg and mix:
- Scoop soft part of bread out of the crust (you will not need crust for this recipe), put to the bowl, pour milk over it and let it soak for a bit:
- Then squeeze milk from bread and add it to the minced meat:
- Mix everything:
- Warm the skillet with oil (I use sunflower one) over moderate heat. Scoop a table spoon of meat mix:
- Form a meat ball with your hands (if you wet your hands with cold water meat will not stick to them):
- Then press it from opposite sides to form a cutlet about 1/2 of inch thin:
- Prepare several cutlets like this and put them to the warmed up skillet; fry each cutlet on one side for about 2 mins then flip and fry on another side for 2 mins more (or intill ready):
- Serve with your choice of sides, I had minced beef cutlets with fried potatoes and greek salad: