Salmon under Capers and Dill SauceOctober 30th, 2009 in Fish, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 1h 15min
Capers and dill, butter, wine and shallots – those are ingredients of very good sauce for fish. Personally I pick salmon, because it is especially good when boiled or even simmered like in this recipe. However I think it will work with other kind of fish without any problem.
Should I also remind you what fish is an important part of the healthy diet?
Got a romantic dinner coming up and want to surprise your date with something special? I recommend this tender salmon dish, especially if after preparing of it you still have a few sips of Chardonnay left to accompany it with.
- 1.5lb – 2lb of skinless salmon
- 3 medium shallots
- 1 stick of butter (about 4 oz)
- 2.5-3 cups of white dry wine
- 2 tbs of capers
- Fresh dill
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- Lettuce for decoration
How to make, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- It is better to start with sauce: sauce should be served warm, but it can be reheated if needed. So peel and chop shallots:
- Warm the sauce pan up with 2tbs of olive oil (you may also use small skillet, but sauce pan is more convenient) and add chopped shallots:
- Fry shallots over medium-low heat till they become soft (about 10-12 mins):
- Increase heat and add about 2 cups of white dry wine (I used Chardonnay):
- Bring it to boil and keep boiling for about 15 mins (about a cup will evaporate till then):
- Reduce heat till sauce stop boiling completely and whisk whole stick of butter in (spoon by spoon), make sure sauce isn’t boiling:
- Drain and rinse capers, chop dill, add both to the sauce and season it with salt and ground black pepper:
- Mix sauce and remove sauce pan from the burner:
- Now it is turn to prepare fish: slice salmon into stripes about half inch wide, season each piece with salt and ground black pepper from each side:
- Pour a cup of water to big skillet and put it on the low heat burner:
- Add about 1 cup of white and bring to boil:
- Put several pieces of salmon to the skillet and simmer them gently over low heat for about 1-2 mins:
- Then flip each piece to the other side for 1-2 mins more. Carefully take each prepared fish piece from the skillet to a plate with spatula. Simmer rest of salmon pieces, if at any point of time you feel like more liquid is needed just pour a bit water and wine to the skillet:
- Arrange pieces of lemon on the plate, if you got some lettuce – put it under lemon for decoration:
- Set several pieces of salmon over the lemon:
- Warm the sauce up (but don’t bring it to boil!) and pour about 3 table spoons of the sauce over the fish:
- Add side dish of your choice (I prepared mashed potatoes for this serving) and enjoy your Salmon under Capers and Dill Sauce, it goes good with white dry wine if you’ve got some:
really thorough. i made this sauce without the shallots and i knew something was missing.
excellent receipe sites with step by step photos………thanks for sharing them on net…..GBU
Salmon under Capers and Dill Sauce looks good. It will do much better with a bottle of red wine and a date with someone special. will surely try it.