A simple recipe to marinate steaks for a cookout: onion juice tenderizes meat without draining its own juices and no need to clean onions themselves as if you would need to do when marinating meat with chopped onions.
I used only salt and ground black pepper as seasonings this time, but other spices can be used to your taste: bay leaf, allspice, paprika, whole peppercorns, whatever you like.
Any meat cut will work here, more lean meats may require more time for marinating.
- 1.5lb of steak meat of your choice
- 2 onions
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: I used 2 new york strip steaks:
- Peel both onions and chop them; I used hand blender, grater will work too as well as food processor or mincer:
- Set a colander in an appropriate size bowl; line colander with 2-3 layers of cheesecloth, put onions in and extract juices:
- Depending on size of the onions you will receive 1-1.5 cups of onion juice:
- Arrange steaks in a pan:
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste from one side:
- Sprinkle with couple tablespoons of onion juice:
- Flip steaks to another side, season with salt and ground black pepper to taste again and pour remaining onion juices over; cover pan with a lid or food wrap and put to the fridge for 3-4 hours to marinate:
- Warm up grill:
- Put marinated steaks to the grill and cook them for about 4 mins:
- Flip to another side and grill until desired readiness:
- Then remove meat from the grill:
- And serve: