Steaks Marinated in Onion JuiceSeptember 1st, 2012 in Beef, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 4h
A simple recipe to marinate steaks for a cookout: onion juice tenderizes meat without draining its own juices and no need to clean onions themselves as if you would need to do when marinating meat with chopped onions.
I used only salt and ground black pepper as seasonings this time, but other spices can be used to your taste: bay leaf, allspice, paprika, whole peppercorns, whatever you like.
Any meat cut will work here, more lean meats may require more time for marinating.
- 1.5lb of steak meat of your choice
- 2 onions
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: I used 2 new york strip steaks:
- Peel both onions and chop them; I used hand blender, grater will work too as well as food processor or mincer:
Set a colander in an appropriate size bowl; line colander with 2-3 layers of cheesecloth, put onions in and extract juices:
- Depending on size of the onions you will receive 1-1.5 cups of onion juice:
- Arrange steaks in a pan:
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste from one side:
- Sprinkle with couple tablespoons of onion juice:
- Flip steaks to another side, season with salt and ground black pepper to taste again and pour remaining onion juices over; cover pan with a lid or food wrap and put to the fridge for 3-4 hours to marinate:
- Warm up grill:
- Put marinated steaks to the grill and cook them for about 4 mins:
- Flip to another side and grill until desired readiness:
- Then remove meat from the grill:
- And serve:
Thank you very much for your recipes and this website! I’ve been wanting to try cooking more traditional Russian and Ukrainian dishes, and this seems like the perfect place to look – your directions are very clear, and the pictures very helpful. Thank you, and I hope you’ll continue sharing your recipes with us for a long time to come.
Thank you and welcome to EnjoyYourCooking 🙂
Julia! What a great idea! Does the meat retain a very strong onion flavor and scent? I wonder how onion-phobes who are worried about their breath feel? 🙂 I’m a huge meat with onions fan, so I’m giving it a go!
There is a bit of the taste, but no the onion breath after cooking, the meat gets soft and juicy, that is the main purpose of it. You can also add some spices to your taste, such as bay leaves or/and allspice or whole black peppers.