Chanterelles are mushrooms which I simply can’t pass in the shop, even though they are seasonal or maybe because of that.
It is my shame, but I don’t know any way to prepare them other than this stew with veal and peas, but it sure tastes great!
You can substitute beef for veal, just increase cooking time to ensure meat is soft enough. You can also substitute white dry wine for water, if you feel like this.
- 3lb boneless veal (chuck roast, shoulder part or such)
- 1lb of chanterelle mushrooms
- 10oz of green peas
- 1 big onion
- Cup of water dry (substitute for a cup of white wine)
- 2-3 tablespoons of oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: if you use frozen peas – it is good idea to get them out from freezer an hour before you are going to cook them:
- Clean and rinse chanterelles, soak them in water if needed:
- Put cooking pot with mushrooms on burner over moderate heat, bring to boil, salt and let them simmer for 45 mins to an hour:
- Rinse veal and dice it into piece about 1-1.5 inch big:
- Warm up skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat and add veal to it:
- Fry veal until all pieces are colored from each sides, stir from time to time (if skillet not big enough fry veal portion by portion):
- Transfer fried meat to a cooking pot; salt and season with ground black pepper to taste:
- Warm up another table spoon of oil in a skillet over moderate heat; peel onion and slice in quarters, move to the ready skillet and fry until soft and brownish in color; stir from time to time:
- Drain liquid from boiled chanterelles, slice them in smaller pieces if needed and add to fried onions and fry them together for 10 mins more:
- Add peas to the cooking pot and pour a cup of water (or if dry white wine if you choose) in:
- Add fried onions with chanterelles, cover with a lid and put on low heat to simmer for about 20 mins (if you cook beef, it may need longer time to cook to be soft):
- Serve veal stew with chanterelles and peas with boiled potatoes or potato puree: