Beet Salad with Prunes and WalnutsNovember 13th, 2010 in Salads by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 2h 30min
Beet salad with prunes, walnuts and onions dressed up with mayo or sour cream or both is one of the traditional salads of ukrainian cuisine.
Also, this dish is one of the not many dishes which uses beets as a main ingredient.
It is very important to use sweet and rich red color beets for this salad. So, when buying beets scratch their skin with a nail: dark red pulp under skin is a sign of good beet, not pink and not white.
It is also important to use good quality walnuts; taste before you buy them: old walnuts can be bitter and using such will make you salad taste bitter as well.
- 3 fresh beets (about 1.5lb)
- 8 dry prunes (less or more to taste)
- Several walnuts
- 1 shallot onion or 1/2 of small onion
- Mayonnaise, about 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: amount of prunes and walnuts can be varied to taste, as well as you can use mayonnaise mix with sour cream instead of just mayonnaise if you like; the rest really depends on beets: they should be fresh, sweet, red and tasty to make this salad good:
- Boil beets skin on as for salad and let them cool down till room temperature (you can actually boil them in advance to save some time):
- Once beets are ready and cooled down, put prunes to a bowl and fill bowl with boiling water; set bowl aside until prunes are softened a bit (about 8-10 mins), then drain water. If you use not-pitted prunes, keep them in the water longer (that will make removal of pit easier) and then remove pits:
- Skin beets and grate them on big slots to the salad bowl:
- Peel and chop shallot, add to the salad bowl:
- Slice prunes:
- Add them to the salad bowl:
- If you have whole walnuts, cut them with knife, not very finely; how much of walnuts to use depend on you taste, I ended up using about 3 table spoons not finely chopped walnuts:
- Add chopped walnuts to the salad bowl:
- Season salad with salt and add mayonnaise or sour cream / mayonnaise mix:
- Mix everything, put the serving bowl and serve as appetizer or side dish:
Tips and Advices
- Choose beets which have rich dark red color, there should not be white or pink colors when you scratch beet peel with a nail.
- Taste walnuts before you use them, old walnuts can be bitter and using such will make you salad taste bitter as well.
- Shallot in his recipe can be replaced with other onion, or onion and minced garlic, whatever you prefer more.
- Store beets and prunes salad in a fridge for several days if needed.
I had this salad at my Ukrainian friend’s home, and absolutely loved it.
I have a similar post about this salad, but do not use onions, and use mayo with sour cream combination.
The prunes add such an interesting flavor to the red beets.
Here is my link, if you like to check out my version:
Yep, some ppl use onions, other ppl use garlic, or garlic and onions together; it all will taste good 🙂 I love beets, even when they are simply boiled and mixed with mayo.
This is one of my favorite salads! I make it with garlic, not onions, but otherwise it’s the same. I’ve brought it to potlucks and made it for various American friends and people always seem to like it, even those who do not consider themselves beet lovers.
Yep, garlic is absolutely an option, I some times do it with onions, sometimes with garlic; or with shallots which is a bit of both…